In a change from the usual, I was in a pretty lousy mood all day today. Wanting to shake my head, turn my back and ignore, ignore, ignore … everything and everyone. I was, as the title of this post hints at, out of sorts (whatever that meant when it was first coined).
Sour, sour, sour … and then I took the bus home. Sitting across from me was a very tired-looking young mom. She was cute and had a gorgeous afro with a flat-twisted band across the front. She was riding with her super-adorable son who was maybe six or seven years old. The dialogue starts with him:
- Sometimes I love your smile.
- (smiles) Only sometimes?
- Well, sometimes I love your hair.
- Only sometimes?
- (thinks) … I love a lot of things with you.
- (smiles, tries not to laugh) But only sometimes.
- I go one at a time.
- (nods) You know, you can love a lot of things all at the same time.
- (surprised) The same time?
- Like me: I love your eyes and your nose and your smile and your laugh and your hands … you see? All at the same time.
- (thinks) … But you don’t say all of that.
- No, I just say, “I love you.”
- (thinks … then nods) That’s easier.
Funk dissolved. The world has righted itself.
I love a lot of things at one time, too. Right now, I’m loving that it’s March and time for Ruth and Stacey’s 6th Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge!! That’s right, the event that made me a blogger, the event that has grown dramatically every year, the event that’s so big it now has an administrative staff! Jump in and tell some stories! Stories (as this post shows) about anything. Jump in: what do you love all at once?